Help protect yourself and others
Before you travel to Edinburgh, please ensure you are aware of the latest health and safety guidance and travel restrictions.
COVID protection levels (sometimes known as tiers or tier system) set out measures that can be applied nationally or locally depending on the prevalence of the virus across Scotland.
Each area has a COVID protection level. There are 5 different levels starting from 0 to 4. The lowest level is 0 and the highest level is 4.
Covid-19 protection levels (tiers) by area
Find out the COVID protection level (tier) for Edinburgh and other local areas in Scotland and get information on what you can and cannot do in Edinburgh at each level.
The Guidance includes:
- Not travelling if you have COVID-19 symptoms or have been told to self-isolate
- Observing physical distancing measures
- wear a face covering
- Regular use of hand sanitiser and regular handwashing
- Planning ahead and checking if businesses and attractions are open and welcoming visitors
- Being considerate of local communities and their precious resources
- Supporting the local tourism industry by eating local, seeing local and buying local
Test and Protect Scotland App
The Protect Scotland app from NHS Scotland’s Test and Protect is a free, mobile phone app designed to help us protect each other and reduce the spread of coronavirus.
The app will alert you if you have been in close contact with another app user who tests positive for coronavirus. And if you test positive, it can help in determining contacts that you may have otherwise missed while keeping your information private and anonymous.