There are so many great reasons to leave home and study abroad in Edinburgh. Scotland’s capital city is renowned around the world for its excellent award-winning education, research and industry. The award-winning city has a multicultural population, and there are outstanding graduate employment opportunities, thanks to a thriving economy.
Edinburgh is the third most popular city in the UK amongst international students. Currently, nearly 11,000 international students study here, so you’re likely to meet many new friends, with similar life experiences to you. There is a 50:50 split between postgraduates and undergraduates amongst the international student community - and the proportion of postgraduates grows every year.
Studying here is affordable and provides outstanding value; a British education is highly esteemed worldwide and opens many doors into the world of work.
Why Study in Edinburgh?
* The city is a world-influencer in education and has an international reputation for academic excellence in teaching, research and development.
* International student scholarships are widely available from the Scottish Government.
* Access to competitive course fees – often providing better value than similar courses in the USA
* World-leader in business, academia, arts, science and technology
* Robust, integrated links between academia and industry
* A beautiful, cosmopolitan city in the heart of a stunning rural landscape
* A safe, clean and welcoming place to stay
* Academia is thriving in the inter-connected global learning environment.
* A long history of attracting and supporting international students
* Edinburgh boasts a large, international community, strengthened by overseas visitors, especially during the summer and winter festivals.
* Many universities have formal exchange programmes with US and worldwide counterparts.
Edinburgh Graduate Stories
Choosing where to study abroad is a big decision. If you’re thinking about studying in Edinburgh and want to know more about the opportunities and possibilities open to you, check out our Edinburgh graduate stories.
Friends & Family Visits
There’s nothing more exciting than planning a trip to visit someone studying in Edinburgh. Whether you’re planning the trip to the city, or you’re a student expecting guests, there are so many great ways to explore Scotland’s capital and sample everything it this great city has to offer.
We’ve got all the information you need to make the visit truly memorable. Start with our handy Edinburgh accommodation guide where you’ll find a range of hotels, B&Bs and self-catering options to suit your needs.
For inspiration on sightseeing and touring the city, our Edinburgh Itinerary Tour guides take you around the city in unique and exciting ways.
If you’re looking to find property or long-term accommodation in Edinburgh or just want to get a feel for the local areas, our Edinburgh neighbourhoods guide gives you the full picture.
And if you’re hoping to catch some of the famous Edinburgh nightlife and culture, our What’s on in Edinburgh guide and Things to Do in Edinburgh section will help you find the perfect way to explore this unique and captivating city.