Methodist. 25 Nicolson Square, Edinburgh. EH8 9BX
In January 2008, four Edinburgh Methodist churches merged to become one church: The City of Edinburgh Methodist Church.
The building in Nicolson Square dates from 1815-16 and is Scotland’s only Grade A listed Methodist church. Designed by city architect Thomas Brown, it has been altered internally through the years, but retains an extraordinary simple and light interior.
The adjacent Epworth Halls open into the Well Café, which overlook the church’s peaceful gardens. This area is used for many of the church’s activities, as well as offering an ideal location as an event space. The building is also a major Edinburgh Festival Fringe venue in August.