Auld Reekie Retold - New Stories of an Old City
- 01 February 2023 - 19 February 2023
- Free entry. Donations welcome
- City Art Centre
Explore stories of an old city and uncover tales from Edinburgh’s past at the City Art Centre.
This latest exhibition by the City Art Centre, which is free to visit, marks the culmination of Auld Reekie Retold, the largest collections inventory project ever undertaken by Museums & Galleries Edinburgh.
Over the past three years, this ambitious project has recorded, catalogued, and revealed thousands of items housed in stores and venues across the city. Auld Reekie Retold connects objects in the collection, which has been growing steadily since the 1870s, uncovering new stories from Edinburgh’s past.
Visitors will be able to see some of the objects uncovered by the team, and also to find out about the behind the scenes work involved in maintaining the collection.
Display highlights include:
* A billboard advertising display of the London and Edinburgh Shipping company, evoking the golden age of sea travel.
* An elaborately bound bible, previously owned by Hugh McKail, one of the leading figures of the Covenanter movement during the Civil Wars of the 1700s.
* A glass jar containing coins encased in glass, which was buried at the laying of the foundation stone of the Bridewell Prison in 1790. It was uncovered in 1883 when the prison was demolished to make way for the newer Calton Gaol.
Visitors will also be able to delve deeper into the objects on display with films, podcasts and more. Simply scan the QR codes around the exhibition.
Auld Reekie Retold - New stories of an Old City takes place at the City Art Centre from 03 December 2022 to 19 February 2023.