Camera Obscura and World of Illusions - where seeing is not believing!
22 June 2018
- things to do
Need inspiration for the perfect family day out? Look no further - Camera Obscura has been delighting and bending the minds of visitors for over 150 years! We caught up with the team to tell us a bit more about the attaction and how to make the most of your visit...
Welcome to Camera Obscura
This summer no visit to Edinburgh would be complete without discovering Camera Obscura and World of Illusions. Welcome to the oldest visitor attraction in Edinburgh, delighting visitors since 1835. An Aladdin's cave filled with illusions, tricks, puzzles, hands-on experiences, unbelievable effects and the best rooftop views of the city, to experience and interact with.
Camera Obscura and World of Illusions sits just a stone’s throw from Edinburgh Castle and is the capital’s oldest purpose built visitor attraction. A show in the original Camera Obscura takes visitors inside a mysterious rooftop chamber, where live moving images of the city projected onto a viewing table through a giant periscope, a truly unique perspective on Edinburgh. The building also offers some of the most stunning views of the city from its 360 degree Rooftop Terrace perched above the Old Town, with powerful telescopes and binoculars to scan the city skyline and far beyond.
But that’s not all…five floors of interactive, mind-boggling, head-spinning, body-bending illusions are also waiting to be discovered! Find your way out of the magical Mirror Maze, shrink yourself like Alice in Wonderland in the amazing Ames Room, try to stay on your feet in the Vortex Tunnel, walk on water without getting wet and lose your head!
We are open all year round with extended opening hours during the summer months in July and August until 10pm. Tickets are valid all day so you can pop out for lunch or coffee if you fancy a break and return as many times as you like during the day.
See you soon!
Top Tips for visiting Camera Obscura
1. Arrive before 11am or after 5pm. It’s quieter then, so you’ll be able to explore with less people around.
2. Start at the top! We recommend our visitors start at the top of our attraction, to enjoy the Camera Obscura Show and take in the stunning views of Edinburgh. This also means you get all the steps over and done with at the beginning of your visit.
3. Check out the gift shop. Our attraction has a fun-filled gift shop, with interactive and exciting games and toys you won’t find anywhere else on the Mile. Make sure to take a look on exit.
4. Say I do! There are only two Auto-Wed’s in the world, and we have one here at Camera Obscura. Our Auto-Wed found fame on Dragon’s Den and is waiting for you and your beloved at the bottom of our musical stairs.
5. Allow enough time. Most of our visitors spend over 2 hours with us, discovering over 100 interactive exhibits. Need to be somewhere else? Take advantage of our All-Day Ticket, and come back later in the day to finish your visit.
Address: Camera Obscura and World of Illusions, Castlehill, The Royal Mile, Edinburgh, EH1 2N
The last Camera Obscura presentation may be a few hours before closing as the Camera Obscura works with daylight.
This content is sponsored by Camera Obscura