Travelling to Edinburgh after Brexit

Know Before Go Caltonhill

There may be some changes to the way you travel to Scotland now that the UK has left the EU, however a holiday to Edinburgh is still a magical experience not to be missed.

We've got some practical information to help you plan a trip to Edinburgh and advice on commonly-asked concerns.


Do I need a Visa to visit Scotland after Brexit?

EU, EEA and Swiss citizens can stay in the UK as a visitor for up to 6 months without a visa.

Irish citizens have no visa requirements and can travel to the UK as they did before Brexit.

Other foreign nationals might need to apply for a Standard Visitor visa.

You can check here if you need a UK visa


What will I need to show to enter Scotland after the UK leaves the EU?

From 1 October 2021, you will need a valid passport to enter the UK. Passports or ID cards should not expire during your stay in the UK. At the border, officials might ask for proof that you are visiting the UK for tourism, such as a hotel reservation.

EU citizens can use their national ID card until then.

Irish citizens may continue to use their national ID card after 1 October 2021. 


What about school groups visiting Scotland?

There will be no changes for EU, EEA or Swiss school travellers

Other foreign nationals will not be able to use the List of Travellers scheme anymore to visit the UK from 1 October 2021.

Please read the UK Government's advice for school groups for more information.


Can I bring a pet to Scotland with me?

Pet owners will be able to travel with their pet between the EU and the UK with an EU pet passport issued in an EU member state. Please read the UK Government's advice page for further details. 


What changes are there to what I can bring to Scotland?

Some rules have changed when you bring goods for your own use from the EU to the UK. Find out more about bringing goods into the UK


Will my European Health Insurance Card still be recognised? 

Yes, to access healthcare in Scotland you will need a valid passport or national ID card and a document that proves you have health insurance, such as the EHIC.

Note: The EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance and you should have both when travelling to the UK.  Click here for further information on the EHIC >


Will travel to Scotland change at all? 

Flights, trains, ferries and coaches will continue to operate between the EU and the UK, and vice-versa. Passengers across the continent can continue to book and travel with confidence as they travel on their holidays to the UK.

Make sure you have the correct travel insurance and check the terms and conditions before heading off.


Can I bring my car and drive in Scotland? 

The rules on driving in Scotland remain the same. Your non-UK driving licence is still valid.


Will I be able to use my mobile phone in Scotland? 

Tariffs for making phone calls, texting or using mobile data may have changed. Please check with your non-UK provider.


For the latest information, please see the UK Government website for advice for visiting the UK after Brexit.