Make sure your Christmas is a real cracker – celebrate it in Edinburgh.
Edinburgh truly sparkles during the festive season.
From Friday, 17th November until Saturday, 6th January 2024, the city centre comes alive with a wide variety of family-friendly festive activities and events.
Whether it’s a traditional pantomime, an after-dark light trail with warming hot chocolate, or a trip to a Christmas market, there’s plenty going on to ensure the whole family have a merry little Christmas – read on to discover more!
Edinburgh’s Christmas (17 November – 6 January 2024)
Experience all the fun of the fair at Edinburgh’s Winter Festival.
Practise your moves at the popular ice rink on George Street or take-in breath-taking festive views of the city from the spectacular heights of the Big Wheel – an unmistakable landmark during Christmas in Edinburgh, it’s a fantastic way to experience the panoramas of the city’s UNESCO Heritage Old and New Towns and admire Edinburgh in all its sparkling glory.
Nestled in the heart of the city, the traditional Christmas Market in Princes Street Gardens has a range of European and Scottish food and drinks, unique crafts, clothing and gifts for the home and is a lovely place to browse for some special Christmas gifts.
Be dazzled by the festive illuminations on George Street, stop by St Andrews Square for the charity installation Festival of Kindness, pop by the Santa Experience in West Princes St Gardens, then round off the evening at one of the family-friendly festive events taking place at the Ross Bandstand.
Be sure not to miss taking a picture of the majestic Christmas tree on the Mound, which each year is donated by Norway’s Hordaland County Council.
Key Dates for Edinburgh’s Christmas
- East Princes Street Gardens and Mound Precinct featuring traditional Christmas markets, festive food stalls and warming zones, the Big Wheel selected funfair rides and attractions and festive lights and illuminations: Friday, 17th November until Saturday, 6th January 2024.
- West Princes Street Gardens featuring family-friendly zone with funfair rides and attractions, festive food and drink with warming zones, Winter Windows Schools art project, festive garden shelters, Gardeners’ Cottage, and festive lights and illuminations: Saturday, 18th November until Saturday, 6th January 2024.
- Ross Bandstand will be hosting a lively programme of community-focused, family-friendly entertainment including carol concerts, silent discos and more: Saturday, 18th November until Saturday, 6th January 2024.
- Ice Rink will run from Friday, 17th November until Saturday, 6th January 2024 (George Street).
- Food stalls, Funfair rides, and warming Zones: Saturday, 18th November until Saturday, 6th January 2024 (George Street).
- Santa Stories, Festival of Kindness, and Festive lights and illuminations: Saturday, 18th November until Sunday, 24th December (St Andrew Square).
- Ethical Christmas Market and Artisan Christmas Market Stalls: Saturday, 18th November until Sunday, 24th December (Castle Street)
Festive Light Trails
Experience stunning visuals, larger-than-life illuminations, trees drenched in jewel-like colours and sparkling tunnels of at one of the many festive light trails that take place throughout the city.
Christmas Fares and Markets
Nothing beats a wander through a Christmas fare or market to get you in the Christmassy mood!
As well as the traditional Christmas Market on Princes Street, you can stock up on unique gifts at a variety of festive markets and fairs, including Hopetoun House, Castle Street Christmas Market, Summerhall, Assembly Rooms and Jupiter Artland.
Of course, there are some great markets all year round that are perfect for picking up that ideal Christmas gift. Stockbridge, Leith and Grassmarket are all local favourites, showcasing the best in local produce, crafts and gifts. While for even more foodie treats, head down to Castle Terrace every Saturday from 9am to 2pm for the Edinburgh Farmers’ Market, where the stallholders often grow or rear what they sell.
Have a Night at the Theatre
For many of us, a trip to see a live show over the Christmas period is a must.
From the traditional side-splitting pantomime to the top-tapping delight of live music, there’s a packed line-up of shows to choose from in Edinburgh at Christmastime.
Sign up to newsletters from city theatres such as The Festival Theatre, Usher Hall, Edinburgh Playhouse, The Royal Lyceum and The Queen’s Hall to be one of the first to hear about this year’s performances.
Edinburgh’s Hogmanay ( 29 December – 1 January 2024)
Nothing is quite like New Year – or Hogmanay as it’s known in Scotland – and Edinburgh does Hogmanay better than most with a multi-day festival to celebrate the changing of the year.
Generally regarded as the most important Scottish holiday, Edinburgh’s Hogmanay Festival dates back to 1993 and has evolved to become one of the greatest outdoor celebrations of New Year’s Eve in the world.
Celebrations include the world-famous Edinburgh’s Hogmanay Street Party and Concert in the Gardens on 31 December – against the stunning backdrop of Edinburgh Castle.
- Torchlight Procession: Friday, 29th December 2023.
- Night Afore Disco Party: Saturday, 30th December 2023.
- EH Street Party and Concert in the Gardens: Sunday, 31st December 2023.
- Candlelit Concert at St Giles: Sunday, 31st December 2023.
- Sprogmanay at the National Museum of Scotland / Assembly Roxy and First Footing: Monday, 1st January 2024.
Keep an eye on Edinburgh’s Hogmanay website for full details of this year’s exciting programme.
Discover more about Edinburgh’s festivals
Edinburgh has a jam-packed festival schedule all year around. Whether you love the arts or are mad about science, there’s a festival for you.
Edinburgh Jazz & Blues Festival
Get into the groove and come along to the Edinburgh Jazz & Blues Festival. The Edinburgh…
The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo
One of the most iconic events on the festival calendar, this is a must-see show for all the…
Edinburgh International Festival
The one that started it all off. The Edinburgh International Festival is an unparalleled celebration of music,…
Edinburgh Festival Fringe
A vast, wonderful, sprawling cornucopia of delights, oddities, sophistication, comedy, tragedy and utter indescribability – and that’s…
Edinburgh Art Festival
Featuring over 40 exhibitions each year, Edinburgh Art Festival is the platform for the visual arts at…
Edinburgh International Book Festival
Discover new writers and meet your favourite authors at creative writing workshops, book signings and author talks –…
Edinburgh International Film Festival
Following uncertainty in 2022 as to its future, the Edinburgh International Film Festival makes a…
The Scottish International Storytelling Festival
Let your imagination run wild at the Scottish International Storytelling Festival. Are you sitting comfortably? Then…
Edinburgh’s Christmas & Hogmanay
Make sure your Christmas is a real cracker – celebrate it in Edinburgh. Edinburgh truly sparkles…
Edinburgh Science Festival
Edinburgh has long been renowned as a place of learning, innovation and scientific achievement – so it’s…
Edinburgh International Children’s Festival
The Edinburgh International Children’s Festival presents the world’s best theatre and dance for children, with performances that…