Catholicism, Broughton Street, Edinburgh. EH1 3JR
St Mary's Catholic Cathedral is the seat of the Archdiocese of St Andrews and Edinburgh.
Designed by the prominent ecclesiastical architect, James Gillespie Graham, the Chapel of St Mary's opened in 1814. In 1878 it became the pro-cathedral of the new Archdiocese of St Andrews and Edinburgh. It was named the Metropolitan Cathedral in 1886 with all the rights associated with a church.
Major changes, some of which were made necessary by the fire in the neighbouring Theatre Royal, were made in 1892. These included transforming the church’s side walls into arches and adding large aisles. In 1932 the roof was raised to its current height.
1982 saw one of the highlights of the cathedral’s recent life, when during his pastoral visit to Scotland, Pope John Paul II addressed a congregation of priests in the cathedral.
Catholicism, 28 Lauriston Street, Edinburgh. EH3 9DJ
The Priests and Brothers of the Society of Jesus (Jesuits) have served in Edinburgh since the parish was started in 1859; the current Church building dates from 1860. The Sacred Heart parish is part of the Archdiocese of St Andrews and Edinburgh.
There are some remarkable pieces of religious art in the church, including the 14 Stations of the Cross which depict Christ's trial, crucifixion and death. Each of the 14 paintings are 8 feet x 16 feet and were completed by the Bavarian artist Peter Rauth in 1874.
As well as being responsible for the parish, the Jesuit Community perform a variety of events at the Lauriston Jesuit Centre, including spirituality, prayer, scripture, theology and current issues in society.
Catholicism, Broomhouse Street North, Edinburgh. EH11 3SB
St Joseph's is a Roman Catholic Parish located in the west of Edinburgh, encompassing Broomhouse, Sighthill, Saughton, Whiston and Parkhead.
The parish was opened for worship on Easter Sunday 1950 and the present church was built in 1953. The church building was only ever meant to be temporary (originally designed as a hall), but has been partially renovated - most memorable was the wall around the church property, which was undertaken voluntarily by men of the parish, some of whom were builders. This was an attempt to stop increasing vandalism of the church and the house.
The Parish celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 2000. To celebrate this milestone, a stained glass window was installed at the side of the church.