Judaism, 4 Salisbury Road, Edinburgh. EH16 5AB
The Edinburgh Hebrew Congregation is a mainstream Orthodox congregation under the auspices of the Chief Rabbi. Housed in the same building, the Synagogue and community centre form the principal focus for Jewish communal life in Edinburgh.
Built in 1932 to accommodate over 1000 members, the Synagogue was reconstructed in 1980 to seat 500. Today’s community, although smaller, are active and welcoming, with regular services throughout the week.
The Mikveh - a ritual bath designed for the Jewish rite of purification – was extensively renovated in 2003. Housed in a grade 2 listed building, it is now equipped with modern facilities, whilst retaining the character of the 1932 original.
The Edinburgh Jewish Literary Society (‘The Lit’) was founded in 1888 with the vision of bringing British culture to the Jewish immigrant population of Edinburgh. It has since expanded and established itself as a forum for discussing a wide variety of topics covering all aspects of history, culture and society that have a Jewish connection. The society continue to meet in the community centre, where they regularly host speakers with a wide range of Jewish interests and expertise.