Sikhism, 1 Sheriff Brae, Edinburgh. EH6 6EQ
The Sikh place of worship is known as The Gurdwara .Translated, Gurdwara means the ‘doorway to the Guru’ - Guru’ meaning ‘that which is takes from darkness (gu) to light (ru)’.
The first Gurdwara in Edinburgh was established in 1964 at 7 Hopefield Terrace Leith - a house donated by two brothers to be used as a Gurdwara by the Sikh community.
The current building on Sheriff Brae was formally St Thomas’s Church, manse and school and dates to 1840-43, and is typical of the early to mid-19th century Romanesque Revival period. It was purchased by the Edinburgh Sikh community for use as their Gurdwara in 1976. Today the entire complex is used – both as a community centre for the Sikh community and as a temple for worship.
With its high spire and Sikh Insignia at the top, the building is today a prominent local landmark.